Sunday, August 08, 2010

Jethro Tull's Ian Anderson to Israel Boycotters: 'F*** Off'


Then and now

Ian Anderson speaks before performing in Israel -David Brinn

Ian Anderson, [j]ust shy of his 63rd birthday, the gregarious front man of veteran British rockers Jethro Tull showed no signs of slowing down or mellowing as he prepared to leave home in England for two weekend Tull shows in [Israel's] Caesarea and Binyamina, and one more night in Jerusalem.

In a phone conversation with The Jerusalem Post, he especially minced no words about efforts to convince him to join the loosely-knit artistic boycott of Israel – efforts which prompted him to write a note on the band’s official Web site defending his decision to perform here.

I didn’t feel the need to make any statement until I started receiving some very hateful communication from people representing different sides of this ongoing issue – from supposed human rights supporters to individuals, bodies and groups… there was some pretty nasty stuff,” said Anderson. Anderson called the attempts to convince artists to boycott Israel “irritating and shallow.”

Basically what I wrote was, ‘don’t f***ing tell me what to do.’ And I have to say that since I posted the letter on my site, over the last two or three weeks, nobody has uttered a peep.”
[Jerusalem Post]
*

No comments: