Monday, February 08, 2010

Arab woman soldier in the Israel Defense Force


A Female Arab Combat Soldier in the IDF -Chen Kotas Bar

IDF Cpl. Elinor Joseph was born in Gush Halav in the Galilee to an Arab Christian family. Her father served as a paratrooper in the IDF. She identifies herself as "Arab, Christian, and Israeli."

"I was born here. The people I love live here - my parents, my friends. This is a Jewish state? True. But it's also my country. I can't imagine living anywhere else."

"I believe that everyone should enlist. You live here? Go defend your country. So what if I'm Arab?"

[Elinor] Joseph serves in the Caracal battalion, which operates on the Egyptian border to block the entry of terrorists and smugglers into Israel.
(Maariv-Hebrew)
*

UPDATE:
IDF Establishes Two Arab Search and Rescue Units

The IDF Home Front Command has recently established two new rescue units composed of Arab citizens of Israel who chose to volunteer.

Each unit will have about 25 volunteers, 70% of them men. Last week, the units went through a series of training exercises, rescuing wounded from rubble after earthquakes or rockets.

Cpt. Sami Halabi, Deputy Commander of the Unit said: "We can be proud that we have these units with such knowledge and experience."
(Israel Defense Forces)
*

2 comments:

LHwrites said...

This is an unexpected story that shows the depth and complexity of individuals, as opposed to the simple black and white herd mentality of the masses. Thanks to Bruce's MidEast Soundbites for once again shining a light on something important I would have otherwise missed!

Bruce said...

You are most welcome...your comment made my day.