Monday, February 23, 2009

Israeli singer & peace activist Noa, supports Gaza War



Internationally renowned Israeli singer Noa [known in Israel as Achinoam Nini] has written an open letter to Palestinians.

Dear Palestinian brothers,

I have seen the peace process rise and fall and rise like the breast of a woman breathing in the night. [T]oday, today I say this; we have one joint enemy, one awful joint enemy and we must all work together to eradicate it! That enemy is fanaticism my friends. That enemy is extremism in all its ugly reincarnations and manifestations.

I see the ugly head of fanaticism, I see it large and horrid, I see its black eyes and spine-chilling smile, I see blood on its hands and I know one of its many names: Hamas. You know this too, my brothers. You know this ugly monster. You know it is raping the minds of your children. You know it is educating to hatred and death.

I am privileged to live in a democracy where women are not objects but presidents, where a singer can say and do as she pleases! I know you do not have this privilege (yet…but you will, inshallah, you will…) I know you are SICK of being held hostage by this demon, this ugly beast!!! You are a people destined to flourish in peace! Your majestic history is overflowing with creativity, literature science and music, endless contributions to humanity, not crippling, torturing fanaticism, yelling Jihad and Shahid!

I see you sometimes, out in the streets, demonstrating with the monsters, yelling ‘death to the Jews, death to Israel!! But I don’t believe you! I know where your heart is! It is just where mine is, with my children, with the earth, with the heavens, with music, with HOPE!! You want nothing of this but you have no choice! I see through your veil of fear my brothers, through your burka! I embrace your hopes for they are mine!

But, now, today, I know that deep in your hearts YOU WISH for the demise of this beast called Hamas who has terrorized and murdered you, who has turned Gaza into a trash heap of poverty, disease and misery. Who in the name of "allah” has sacrificed you on the bloody alter of pride and greed.

I can only wish for you that Israel will do the job we all know needs to be done, and finally RID YOU of this cancer, this virus, this monster called fanaticism, today called Hamas. And that these killers will find what little compassion may still exist in their hearts and STOP using you and your children as human shields for their cowardice and crimes.

Enough. Enough my brother … you want some coffee? Here, sit for a while…let's talk….we know the words, we know the songs, we know the road….
Shalom...Salam...

With a broken heart,
Noa
[YNet News]
[Sample Noa's music at: http://www.noasmusic.com]
*

9 comments:

MaggieMae said...

that was really beautiful...it's sad that the way to peace sometimes has to be war...still don't like her music though lol

Bruce said...

Yes, beautiful words...parts of it are a bit overly hopeful...like:

"I see you...demonstrating with the monsters, yelling ‘death to the Jews, death to Israel!! But I don’t believe you!"

I believe them...maybe Noa should too. I looove her music.

LHwrites said...

While very nicely put, I find this a bit patronizing. It reflects her values, and her cultures values, and as has been discussed in this fine blog before, we have seen that despite the beliefs of many learned Westerners (and George W. and Cheney) that the Arab Muslims do not necessarily share these beliefs or values. While it has merit in saying this is not the way and Hamas is wrong; it does not address the anger and resentment that lies beneath the poor choices average Palestinians make. While most of their dissatisfaction comes from their own leaders, and own prejudices, they are misled and do not know it. Nevertheless, while her letter sounds nice, I can only see things in it that would inflame the angry passions of those it says it is addressed to. I do not know her music at all.

LHwrites said...

And I agree with you Bruce. I believe them too. Hopefully that will change. But right now I think they mean it.

Bruce said...

May i suggest a visit to her website:
http://www.noasmusic.com
or a YouTube search for "Noa"

A very talented woman.

MaggieMae said...

i think when she says 'but i don't believe you!' she just means in the 'humans are naturally good' kind of way...in other words they were brainwashed and were made to think like this, therefore in their unconscious they know it's wrong. i mean, OBVIOUSLY they believe it, otherwise they wouldn't be saying it.
and i don't think anything involving this subject can be overly hopeful. we need all the hope we can get, dad.

Unknown said...

I love Noa, I have been a fan for over 10 years, she is one of the most beautiful women and singers in the world.
Her words in this letter are so moving, so accurate, and so well stated.
She has worked for peace and is planning a tour with a prominent Palestinian vocalist in the near future.
Definitely search her music and videos on http://youtube.com
It will be worth it.
Todah Rabbah for the lovely photographs!

Anonymous said...

I think Noa is a very politically involved and active woman with a fantastic aura. She has courage to say what many people think and it's good to have such people on earth. All fanatic thinking human beings should take her as an example for peaceful contemplating about living together.
Keep on smiling and struggling for peace.
From my inner heart
Martin

Bruce said...

Indeed, Martin, she does have a warm soul and aura.

Michael, i checked her tour dates...it looks like they're exclusively in Europe as of today. Hopefully she will extend the tour further.

Thankx for posting!
Bruce :)