Tuesday, July 01, 2014

A Time to Mourn

Mourning the murders in Rabin Square, Tel Aviv

Palestinians Are Not Fit for Statehood - Bret Stephens

The mother of Amer Abu Aysha, one of the accused kidnappers of the Israeli teens, told Israel's Channel 10 news: "If he did the kidnapping, I'll be proud of him." What kind of society produces such mothers who cheer on their boys to blow themselves up or murder the children of their neighbors?     

I have yet to meet the Israeli mother who wants to raise her boys to become kidnappers and murderers.     

As for the Palestinians and their inveterate sympathizers in the West, perhaps they should note that a culture that too often openly celebrates martyrdom and murder is not fit for statehood, and that making excuses for that culture only makes it more unfit. Postwar Germany put itself through a process of moral rehabilitation that began with a recognition of what it had done. Palestinians who want a state should do the same. 
(Wall Street Journal)
*

 
[W]e can take our lead from the parents of the murdered teenagers, who have displayed such strength, sensitivity and concern for the rest of Israel.
 
I saw this directly last Thursday, when I sat facing Rachelle Fraenkel, and she told me, among a series of extraordinary remarks, “I’m praying with all my heart. It might help. I believe it could help, especially when thousands and millions are praying. They are. But nobody owes me anything. And if tomorrow, God forbid, I’ll hear the worst news, I don’t want my children to feel that where did all my prayers go?”
 
In their different ways, each of the families urged Israelis to remain united and strong, hailed our solidarity, thanked us for our hopes and our prayers. They refused to be tainted by the inhumanity that robbed them of their beloved sons.
 
Our hearts go out to them.
[The Times of Israel]
*

No comments: