Friday, October 31, 2008

Israeli hero: Uri Gil, fighter pilot


Oldest Active Fighter Pilot Retires

Uri Gil is a Guinness World Record holder. At 61 he’s the oldest active fighter pilot [in the world] and he’s waged battle in the skies for decades.

Uri was flying over the Suez Canal in 1973 when a missile whizzed past him: "If I'd broken a fraction of a second later, I wouldn't be here today." Over his 41 years of service Uri downed many enemy planes and he can't hide the pride he feels: "I'm the only pilot who downed planes in all the wars."

Yet Uri never gloated: "I was never happy afterwards. I like to show the enemy some respect." Just before his last flight, he takes his granddaughter to see his F16 fighter plane: "This plane's on call. If enemies come to our borders, then someone has to make sure these planes don't enter the country."
(Journeyman Pictures-Documentary DVD)

No comments: